Sunday, April 8, 2012

To Those Of You Who Think I'm Supermom...

While I truly appreciate the thought behind people calling me Supermom, I must admit- it is starting to bother me. What prompted this now?  Some very well intentioned people I know were giving me way too much credit for how I handle my kids and situations I face raising them.

When you call me “supermom” it puts tremendous pressure on me. A supermom should be able to handle it all. And I can't handle it all. I can't do this on my own. I'm not Supermom. I don’t have it all together. In fact- most of the time, I am flying by the seat of my pants. I know it may look like I’ve got it all together from the outside, but that is mostly because I have become very good at hiding the anxiety and insecurity I feel. It takes a whole lot of positive self talk not to compare myself to other moms and my kids to other people’s kids. I know in my head I shouldn’t, but I still have to calm that tendency every day. I often question whether I am doing things right or why some people’s children are doing this or that when mine aren’t. It is a daily struggle.  

Also, people who are meeting me now don’t know about all the trials in my life that have prepared me for this. The road to where we are now has not been the easiest. It has been worth it, but the things I have gone through, the pain I have suffered and the fact that God has been faithful throughout it all- as promised- has helped me grow to the place I am now. It didn’t “just happen”. Every experience in my past has happened so that I have what I need for the present, and what I am experiencing now is happening to prepare me for the future.

But more importantly than any of that, calling me Supermom takes away from the glory of the Super God I serve.  From the recognition He deserves for giving me the strength I need to take care of my children. Sure, I have a wonderfully supportive husband and an amazing support system of family and friends who I could not function without. And for that I am thankful beyond words. But ultimately, God is the one who put these people in my life. God is the one who should be getting all the praise, not me. He has given me the grace, the patience, the strength, the love, and the desire to take care of my darling babies. I love them more than anything, aside from my Heavenly Father and my husband.. I wouldn't trade any of this for anything this world has to offer.

 So please, the next time you feel the urge to call me (or any other mother) Supermom, take a minute, give recognition to the One who deserves it, and find some other way to express your admiration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment