Tuesday, November 5, 2013

My Journey Back To Health: A Rocky Start

We left off with me waiting on results from the RE, which I expected to get on Saturday, but did not.

I patiently waited until Monday morning, when I called the office again. The doctor was in with a patient. I left a message and waited. When I still hadn't heard anything by 4:30, I called again and asked what time I should be hearing back from the doctor. I was informed that she had patients until 5 and to expect a call shortly after. Well, I got busy with the kids. That's a hard time of day.

I looked at the clock. It was almost 7 and I still hadn't received a call. So I called back and got the answering service. I explained the situation. I was told, quite abruptly that the doctor had gone home for the day and I would be getting a call back first thing in the morning. At this point, I was close to tears. I'm in quite a bit of discomfort from this cyst and I thought I'd be starting Provera on Saturday. Now it is Monday night. I calmly told the girl that I was in a lot of discomfort and I really needed to talk to my doctor. That was met by silence. And then she hung up on me. I was so mad. I decided it wasn't worth my effort to call back right then. I was fuming and I didn't want to say something I would regret.  I had to put the kids to bed, anyway.

So, "first thing this morning" came and went. The office opens at 7.  Shortly after 9, I called the office and explained my situation. Of course, today is my doctor's day off. So the nurse put the doctor who was there today on the phone. I explained everything to him. He put me on hold while he looked over my chart and the notes my doctor had made. He said he felt comfortable telling me to stop the birth control pills. He is calling in a prescription for Provera and I am to call back on cycle day 1 to check the size of the cyst.

While I was writing this, my doctor called me. She was in her car on her way to run errands, since it is her day off. We spoke for nearly half an hour about our game plan. It is pretty much what the other doctor had suggested. I am very happy that both doctors are on the same page. I also like that the other doctor stepped up and took the time to review my chart to make sure I got some answers. And the fact that my doctor called me on her day off is very comforting. She was stuck in an emergency surgery until pretty late last night. She apologized profusely, and I could tell she was genuinely concerned about not being able to reach me.

I am still waiting for the results from my gastroenterologist too. He said I should have the results in about a week, so I'll call tomorrow if I don't hear anything today.

Through all of this, I am trying to manage my thoughts. I know God is in control of all of this. I just need to remind myself of that. Often.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment